Friday 31 May 2013

A Weekend of Pampering


Last weekend marked the occasion of my big sister's hen weekend. It was an intimate family gathering, and we all had a wonderful time.

 As the chief bridesmaid, or maid of honour as she prefers to call me (I think that makes me sound old!), it was my job to organise it. My sister is fairly quiet, so the usual wild hen night would've been highly inappropriate. I was under strict instructions not to go too crazy. So we settled on a spa weekend. It was just myself, my two sisters, our mum and her two sisters. It was really great to just have some downtime together. 

The hotel was stunning. Very spacious rooms and lovely modern facilities. The spa itself was very basic, just a small pool, a Jacuzzi, a steam room and a sauna, but it was ample for a weekend. And with the treatments included in our package, we had plenty to be doing. We had a scrumptious three course dinner on Saturday evening, followed by a few drinks and lots of laughs back at our room. 

After not nearly enough sleep, we woke to a delicious full English breakfast. I think I ate my own body weight in sausages! Then my sister and two aunts tried their hardest to convince me to join them in the gym. We all know that was never going to happen! I don't even own a gym kit, so I certainly hadn't packed one in my case! Anyway, the Jacuzzi was far too inviting to waste time in the gym. My little sister and I spent the whole morning bubbling away. Mum chose to spend her morning dozing in the relaxation room, with an endless supply of tea. 

At lunch time we dined in our spa robes. That was an odd experience, mingled in the dining room with none spa guests all fully dressed, whilst we wore just our swimwear covered by a dressing gown! Of course we weren't the only underdressed people in the room, and I suppose when you stay in a spa hotel you expect to see it, but that didn't make it feel any more normal. After a slow and relaxed afternoon we finally got dressed and went home.

 We had such a wonderful time that we've decided to make it an annual event. Not the hen party of course, there's only so many weddings six women can muster up. But the weekend away together was heavenly. I could definitely get used to being pampered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment